Settled in a valley surrounded by large hills and beautiful landscape, this quaint PA town is conveniently located just north of Pittsburgh in Butler County. Centrally located to Interstate 79, 279, 80 and Route 19, this quaint community is perfect for those who want to enjoy a little country living but remain close to work and activity options.
Evans City Borough Founding
Evans City officially changed its name in 1968 but actually originated in 1790 when Robert Boggs acquired property to start a grist mill. He christened the property Boggs Mill. Boggs sold the property and mill to Thomas Evans in 1836. Evans built a new mill and developed plans for a village which he named Evansburg. When oil was discovered in 1915, it precipitated the growth of the little town. Although over drilling quickly depleted the oil supply, both the town and its businesses flourished. Even before Evansburg experienced such rapid growth, it had an important accoutrement, a post office. The original, built in 1837, was called Breakneck. In 1882, its name was changed to Evans City. Concurrently, Evansburg Boro was incorporated. Today, Evans City has approximately 1800 residents, most of whom share the same German heritage as the early settlers who came here. In honor of this ancestry, Evans City Chamber of Commerce holds the Oktoberfest every year in September.